The Villa Quandt lies in the historic park landscape of the Potsdam Pfingstberg and belongs, along with the Belvedere and the closely situated Ceciliehof Palace, to the Ensemble of the Unesco World Heritage site, manged by the Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg (Stiftung Preußischer Schlösser und Gärten). Directly in the neighborhood are the Lepsiushaus and the Memorial Gedenk- und Begegnungsstätte Leistkowstraße Potsdam. The Russian Colony, the Alexandrowka, from the time of Friedrich Wilhelm III., and the Alexandrowka Museum as well as the historic Jewsch Cemetary are within walking distance.
Together with the Villa Henckel and the Villa Lepsius, the Villa Quandt belongs to the most stately of the Nauener Suburb’s Villas. When and who built the Villa is unkown. The oldest structural evidence stem from the time around 1800 and verifiable structural changes from the years between 1831 and 1833. The Villa got its name from the war councilor Ulrika Augusta von Quandt who acquired the property in 1833, yet sold it two years later.
In kingly possession since 1841 , the building was integrated into the park at the Pfingstberg in 1860. It took its current structural form in the course of the transformation undertaken by Prince Oskar Karl Gustav Adolf of Prussia, the fifth son of Wilhem II. who inhabited the building with his family following his nuptials in 1914.
About the Villa and the Quartier cf. the publication from the Theodor Fontane Archive Was bleibt …? Spüren der Geschichte am Potsdamer Pfingstberg (Potsdam 2008). You can acquire this broschure here.
Following the occupation of Potsdam by the soviet troops in 1945, the Villa Quandt was situated in a restricted military area and became the subsequent headquarters of the military administration, which became known as the military townlet No.7. Which uses the Villa Quandt had during this time, could not be clarified. After the withdrawal of the soviet army and the acquisition of the Villa from the Prussian Palaces and Gardens Foundation Berlin-Brandenburg in 1993/94 there were comprehensive demolition and protection measures.
With funds from the Hermann Reemtsma, Hamburg and the European Fonds for regional development, the salvage and reconstruction of the Villa Quandt succeeded and made useable for the Theodor Fontane Archiv.
In September 2007 the building could be moved into. Along with the Fontane Archive, it also houses the Brandenburgisches Literaturbüro.